Anyway, I wanted to let you guys know some reasons why I wanted to come out to San Diego and how I ended up here. There was so much I wanted to say in the support letter, but I was trying to make it somewhat short and not keep babbling on...so the somewhat babbling version will be here for anyone interested. I also just want to let you know that I really didn't want the "support letters" to seem to be just begging for money...I don't like that obligation and really just want to let people know what's going on...your prayers would be awesome too. Also, I would really like to keep in touch/hear from you/get to know you better! Honestly, I want you in my life. I think too often I let people go too easily without KNOWING them and keeping a close relationship and then I regret it once I’ve realized I totally just dropped the ball and let it slip without even trying, and that’s another thing I want to change. I love you guys!
So, about how I got here...first the Summer Projects didn't seem all that appealing to me and I didn't give it a ton of thought...then someone encouraged me to check out one of the trips to Turkey and I ended up finding the San Diego Summer Project description, which just seemed to fit perfectly. I wasn't sure still, but I went ahead and applied towards the end of January. So, I heard about Summer Project, wasn’t interested, heard again, became interested, prayed, applied, waited, became uninterested again, got accepted to the Santa Monica Summer Project (3rd choice), prayed, declined, and was perfectly content and looking forward to simply staying in Iowa City for the summer. Towards the end of the semester I began to wonder if I wasn't supposed to go, and had a tinge of regret about declining. Then two weeks before Project, I got an e-mail informing me that spots had opened up for the San Diego Summer Project, and did I want to go? Rrgh...I didn't want to re-decide, especially right before finals, when there were plenty of other things to think about. I was excited at the possibility, but still had some doubts and with it so close, was tempted to just keep things easy and as planned. But, after two days of praying and going back and forth, I made the decision to go. And I'm really glad I did.
OK, so I was looking back over some of the stuff I had put on my application when I was trying to re-decide, to look at my reasons for wanting to go, etc. So I'll share a little with you...
Objectives for the summer:
1. That the glory of God be furthered.
2. That I grow to be unashamed and emboldened to share His glory with those around me.
3. That I learn to live for His glory moment by moment, practically...while working, in relationships, in play, in every thought...
4. To build deeper relationships with fellow believers and live in sweet community and fellowship.
5. To build deeper relationships with nonbelievers and coworkers.
6. To represent Christ authentically and positively to the community of San Diego and our respective workplaces.
7. To be healthy in my choices.
8. To lessen my timidity in sharing myself and my God.
9. To become more fully who I was created to be.
10. To be used by God for His higher purposes.
11. To work on fearing God more than the opinions of others and my own selfish pride.
12. To be less independent.
13. To truly love people as Christ, and not just because I think I'm supposed to.
14. To surrender myself and my life completely to His will.
15. To take initiative.
16. To have fun, to have joy, to find beauty abounding all around, and to help others do the same.
Alright, sorry this is so long guys. Next up: updates about the actual trip! Yay! It's been pretty sweet. :) I'll try to make the upcoming posts shorter and more often, and so easier to get through. No promises though. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment